[Freedombox-discuss] Cannot connect to radicale from phones after installing new image.

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Mon Dec 20 23:42:57 GMT 2021

On 12/20/21 14:32, A. F. Cano wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2021 at 07:47:58AM -0800, spectral wrote:
>> On Sun, 2021-12-19 at 22:02 -0500, A. F. Cano wrote:
>>
>> FreedomBox 21.9 (2021-09-18) removed support for SSLv3, TLSv1 and
>> TLSv1.1.
>>
>> https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/ReleaseNotes#FreedomBox_21.9_.282021-09-18.29
>>
>> After upgrading to 21.9, I also found my tt-rss Android client (1.301-
>> fdroid) stopped working (SSLProtocolException:SSL handshake) on my
>> old phone frozen in time at Android 4.3.  I think older phones stuck at
>> older versions of Android are just out of luck.
>
> Well, that explains it.  Thanks for clarifying.  Disappointing, as
> radicale was workin quite nicely.  On to search for another phone that
> can be rooted on which a non-locked up version of android can be installed.
> Replicant, lineage OS, others? any suggestions?

The changes to the TLS configuration gave us forward secrecy for all
enabled ciphers and piece of mind over potential security issues in
older TLS versions. We neither rushed to it nor fully disregarded
compatibility. Upstream Apache or at least Debian should have done this,
in fact.

One can always manually override these values, but perhaps moving on to
more secure clients is better.

As for replacements, I have been using Mobian on PinePhone for a while
and I very excited about it. The hardware is pretty decent but the
software has a lot of catching up to do. An easier option for
non-technical users is Lineage OS + a well support Android phone model.

--
Sunil