[Freedombox-discuss] phone recommendations, was: Cannot connect to radicale from phones...

Znoteer znoteer at mailbox.org
Tue Dec 21 00:26:37 GMT 2021

On Mon, Dec 20, 2021 at 03:42:57PM -0800, Sunil Mohan Adapa wrote:
> On 12/20/21 14:32, A. F. Cano wrote:
[snip]
> > Replicant, lineage OS, others? any suggestions?

[snip]

> As for replacements, I have been using Mobian on PinePhone for a while and I
> very excited about it. The hardware is pretty decent but the software has a
> lot of catching up to do. An easier option for non-technical users is
> Lineage OS + a well support Android phone model.

I have a PinePhone, and am excited about it, too.  But, I have to disagree
about it being a good option for daily use, even though the software
improves rapidly.  I think most people would find the hardware too slow for
daily use.

But, even it you are willing to wait for apps to open, etc, the real killer
for daily use is the battery life.  You can't leave the house all day with a
PinePhone unless you keep it off most of the time or unless you have back up
battery or access to charging stations.

The PinePhone Pro has better hardware, but it is still in development.

Another alternative to Lineage OS is CalyxOS.  I find the community is less
toxic and CalyxOS is backed by a foundation.  They don't support as many
phones as lineage, though.  Calyx will only support phones that the
manufacturers have agreed to support for X years.  I can't remember the
value of X, but it's on their website.

Calyx is super easy to install once you understand the instructions on the
phone.

--
Znoteer
znoteer at mailbox.org