[Freedombox-discuss] Please help mass-spreading Freedombox in Romania

Răzvan Sandu rsandu2004 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 13 12:01:12 GMT 2021

Hello, Freedombox list,

Being my first post here, I am glad to salute the whole community from
*Bucharest, Romania* .

I would like to let the other members know that, around here, we have an
increased *concern* about online privacy. Unfortunately, the free, true
*solution* offered by the FreedomBox Project and the more general idea
of decentralizing networks are less well-known, locally. More correct
information is needed, for the general public.

One thing we truly miss is the possibility (for the end-user) to *see*
the stock FreedomBox hardware (not online, but physically), while being
explained the necessity of it and *before* buying.

So, I am personally interested in a more "industrial way" of promoting
the FreedomBox concept on the Romanian local market.

Something like:

1. A way to buy certified, stock FreedomBox *hardware* , with
preinstalled software (as offered by Olimex or other vendors), on the
*local* market (without needing international shipment)

2. Having access to both small (for evaluation) or larger *quantities*
(for mass deployment)

3. While I'm perfectly able to download the FreedomBox software and
install it myself on general hardware like the Raspberry Pi, this is not
the idea. We explicitly want to *help* (financially and in other ways)
the FreedomBox Foundation's effort via every device sale, so we need
stock devices.

4. More *powerful* hardware (such as 4 GB RAM devices, not 1 GB; or
faster processors) would be certainly more sought by the local public (a
precondition for the success of any mass distribution on the Romanian
market, as I know it now)

5. *Hacking* (for the end-user) should not be implied. What we intend is
having consumer-like devices (like common wireless routers) that
*non-technical* public may purchase and immediately use for publishing
content on the Web, in a decentralized manner

6. The ability to create *mesh* networks (both via wireless and
Ethernet) is a very sought-of feature (for small communities like
villages, please see the ideas of VillageTelco)

7. Good *Dynamic DNS* software (already included at shipment) is
critical, since most of the users have residential Internet connections
(fiber, CATV, cellular)

8. Locally, we may *contribute* with detailed, high quality
*translations* of any user documentation (mostly in Romanian, but also
other languages)

Can you please *offer some advice* for building a more active and
tightly integrated *local* "market" for FreedomBoxes (for obvious
"political" reasons related to privacy and decentralization), especially
regarding suitable *hardware* distribution?

Thank you!

Best regards,

Răzvan