[Freedombox-discuss] Action Needed: Dynamic DNS Server Migration

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Fri Nov 26 06:24:38 GMT 2021

On 11/25/21 20:02, A. F. Cano wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 12:44:25AM -0800, Sunil Mohan Adapa wrote:
>> On 11/22/21 16:02, Sunil Mohan Adapa wrote:
>> freedombox.rocks and all of its subdomains are up and running now. The
>> outage was caused due to a configuration error on the old server during
>> preparation activities for the server migration. The error has been handled.
>>
>> If you face any further troubles in DNS resolution for freedombox.rocks
>> domains, please report them.
>
> While I get dns resolution for my domain, and the status updates only
> when I attempt to configure the new ddns.freedombox.org, the process
> never completes.  The "Update seup" button keeps turning and turning.
> If I exit the configuraton screen, say by going back to "System" the
> set up reverts to gnudip.datasystems24.net.  I had previously gone to
> gnudip.datasystem24.de and gave permission to migrate the record.
>
> I have tried multiple times over a few days.  Same result.
>
> I don't know if this is related to the certificate.  When the DNS
> problem was solved, I did see that the certificate had been obtained.
> Thinking that maybe I had to reobtain it, I did so multiple times.  it
> didn't work, and now I have exceeded the 5 certificates per week limit
> and can't obtain one.  I'll try again in a few days, but is this issue
> with the certificates related to configuring the dynamic dns client to
> use ddns.freedombox.org?

I just referred to the dynamicdns code. It clearly finishes updating the
configuration before proceeding with triggering domain changed signal
(this is what the let's encrypt module catches to try to obtain the
certificate). So, in your case, configuration not getting updated is
likely not due to certificate issue. To debug, try running the following
command as root:

echo -n "<password>" | /usr/share/plinth/actions/dynamicdns -s
ddns.freedombox.org -d <yourdomain>.freedombox.rocks -u <username> -p -I
https://ddns.freedombox.org/ip/ -U '' -c disabled -b disabled -6 disabled

If this succeeds, check that FreedomBox web interface is showing the
correct configuration. Reboot to ensure that changes apply properly.

If you currently have a valid certificate, you don't need to re-obtain
the certificate when the dynamicdns configuration changes. However, the
code may be doing that.

--
Sunil