[Freedombox-discuss] EMERGENCY! after latest reboot, firewall doesn't let anything through.

A. F. Cano afc54 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 10 19:53:14 BST 2021

Hi,

After the latest reboot, I found that apparently nothing gets through
the firewall.  At first it was confusing since I was able to get on the
web, but I found out that this is only because my internal browsers go
through privoxy on the FreedomBox.  Apt/aptitude (from internal
machines) now fails.  I could bypass the problem by making it go through
privoxy also, by adding /etc/apt/apt.conf with this in it:

Acquire::http::Proxy "http://<internal name of FreedomBox>:8118";

Most importantly, neither fetchmail nor imap work any more, which means
that I can no longer receive or send email.  I could only send this email
by disabling the firewall from cockpit.  Until I did so, I got "failed:
Network is unreachable".

Luckily I can still get into the FreedomBox via ssh, but any command
typed there (such as sudo nft list ruleset) results in a very long wait
(about 10-15 seconds) and then this shows up:

pam-abl: BDB1546 unable to join the environment

before the prompt for the password appears.

This is new.  I have rebooted the FreedomBox multiple times with no
change.

I have never dealt with nftables internals before and what I've been
able to see seems extremely complicated.  I didn't see any explicit
mentions of port 25 (smtp), 143 (imap) or 993 (imaps).  When I tried to
add these ports to internal zones the help text told me that it
shouldn't be necessary if I only want to run fetchmail to retrieve
email.

The "About" menu entry says:

You are running Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid and FreedomBox version 21.10. FreedomBox is up to date.

And I've done the latest update minutes ago.

What can I do to get the FreedomBox back to normal working state?
Has anything changed recently that could affect shis issue?
Do I need to do something explicit to be able to send and receive email
from the internal machines?

Is this an issue with the forward rules?

        chain filter_forward {
                type filter hook forward priority filter; policy accept;
                ip daddr 192.168.200.0/24 oifname "enp3s0" ct state { established, related } accept
                ip saddr 192.168.200.0/24 iifname "enp3s0" accept
                iifname "enp3s0" oifname "enp3s0" accept
                iifname "enp3s0" reject
                oifname "enp3s0" reject
        }

I found this snippet, does it look correct?

Thanks.

Augustine