[Freedombox-discuss] How to upgrade new pioneer freedom box to bullseye

spectral spectral at sonic.net
Sat Jan 8 22:15:21 GMT 2022

It's unfortunate that Pioneer Edition boxes are still shipping with
buster.  Apparently Olimex have not finished up official testing and
certification of a  bullseye image for the Pioneer Edition hardware.

I would have thought a dist upgrade would be possible by checking
"Enable auto-update" and "Enable auto-update to next stable release",
and activating "Frequent Feature Updates" (i.e., backports) during
setup, so I'm curious why you write that upgrading is not possible.  In
any case, navigating a buster-bullseye dist upgrade immediately upon
setting up a new Pioneer Edition FreedomBox might be challenging, or at
least nerve wracking, depending on one's level of familiarity with
Debian and FreedomBox.  The problems people ran into upgrading and
their solutions can be found in the discussion forum, but they center
on trying to track progress during a very long process and having to
manually handle a couple of conditions not handled by the dist upgrade
automation.

Anyway, it's probably simpler and more straightforward to write a newer
image to an SD card and use that in place of the SD card from Olimex
(or overwrite the card from Olimex).  Although there's not yet an
official bullseye stable image, an image of the current FreedomBox
release (on bullseye-backports) is created weekly.

The wiki contains instructions for downloading an image and writing it
to an SD card:

   https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Download

This is where the Pioneer Edition weekly images are located:

   https://ftp.freedombox.org/pub/freedombox/pioneer/weekly/

If you go with a weekly image, you'll probably want to check "Enable
auto-update" and activate "Frequent Feature Updates" to receive new
FreedomBox versions released to bullseye-backports.