[Freedombox-discuss] Mastodon?

Diederik de Haas didi.debian at cknow.org
Thu Nov 10 21:46:46 GMT 2022

On Thursday, 10 November 2022 19:56:50 CET A. F. Cano wrote:
> With everything that is happening with twitter these days, I looked at
> Mastodon in some detail.  Per:
>
> https://www.linuxbabe.com/debian/install-mastodon-debian-server
>
> it is not trivial to set up, but most importantly it requires a
> domain (*.freedombox.rocks, that I already have established),
> a server (the FreedomBox) and an email server.  The latter is the
> show-stopper.

There is a bigger showstopper: getting mastodon packaged for Debian.

There is a Request For Packaging bug here: https://bugs.debian.org/859741
The (relatively) low bug number may give a hint: opened 2017-04-06

In the upstream issue list there's also a request for a Debian packaged
https://github.com/mastodon/mastodon/issues/3576, opened 2017-06-05.

The big problem is that it is a BEAST to package, but that is a requirement
for inclusion in Mastodon.

There seems to be possible alternative clients for the Fediverse though and it
was mentioned on #debian-til yesterday.
For one of them, a RFP bug was filed: https://bugs.debian.org/1023749.
See also https://bugs.debian.org/859741#49 for links to alternatives.

BTW, the page you linked to, instructs users to do some VERY unsafe stuff and
just download a whole bunch of packages from ruby and nodejs 'repos'.

What could possibly go wrong with commands like these:
curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_16.x | sudo bash -
echo "deb https://dl.yarnpkg.com/debian/ stable main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/
sources.list.d/yarn.list
curl -sL https://dl.yarnpkg.com/debian/pubkey.gpg | sudo apt-key add -