[Freedombox-discuss] ARM64 board for Debian/Freedombox

James Valleroy jvalleroy at mailbox.org
Mon Sep 12 11:16:50 BST 2022

On 9/11/22 10:49 PM, Evelyn Pereira Souza via Freedombox-discuss wrote:
> On 12.09.22 03:37, Wookey wrote:
>> The Rockpro64 also works with stock debian, but again I don't see a
>> Swiss supplier.
>> https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Hardware/RockPro64
>
> The manufacturer Pine has a very good reputation in the Open Source and
> Privacy community. Can you please say a few words about the performance
> of these devices? Is it comparable to RPI4?

I have been using a RockPro64 with an eMMC module for several months.
Subjectively, the performance feels very good.

(My previous device was running from an SD card, so that may be the
largest difference here.)

>> Your requirements of arm64, stock debian, no blobs, and 'not imported'
>> result in
>> zero devices SFAICT. You will probably have to relax the 'not
>> imported' rule.
>
> Yes you are right. Pine was very often in positive headlines, eventually
> I will order from their webshop. But unfortunately there are no starter
> kits, I do not know what I need.

Here's what I ordered:

- ROCKPro64 4GB Single Board Computer
- ROCKPro64 PREMIUM ALUMINUM CASING
- ROCKPro64 12V 3A US POWER SUPPLY (replace with what you need)
- 128GB eMMC Module
- USB Adapter for eMMC Module (this is used just once for flashing the eMMC)

I did flash the SPI firmware (following the directions at
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Hardware/RockPro64#Download) in order
to boot from eMMC.

--
James