[Freedombox-discuss] ARM64 board for Debian/Freedombox

Diederik de Haas didi.debian at cknow.org
Mon Sep 12 13:11:55 BST 2022

On maandag 12 september 2022 12:16:50 CEST James Valleroy wrote:
> - 128GB eMMC Module

You can also use a smaller eMMC device and if you need more storage, connect
an USB drive. I'd recommend not going below 32GB though, although you
technically probably can.

> - USB Adapter for eMMC Module (this is used just once for flashing the eMMC)
>
> I did flash the SPI firmware (following the directions at
> https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Hardware/RockPro64#Download) in order
> to boot from eMMC.

I'm quite sure you don't need to flash to SPI to boot from eMMC.
AFAIK you would need it if booting directly/solely from a device attached to
the PCIe port or a network based boot option.
But booting from SDcard/eMMC works OOTB.

Get this too:
https://pine64.com/product/serial-console-woodpecker-edition/
Ideally you won't need it, but it's only $2 and if you need it afterwards,
you'd also/still need to pay shipping costs which is ~$30.
Pine64 products serial connection run at 1.5M baud which is unusual and not
supported by every serial device, but ofc it is by this one.

HTH

PS: it looks like this ML doesn't set a reply-to header so it defaults to the
list?