[Freedombox-discuss] [OFFTOPIC] ARM64 board for Debian/Freedombox

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Sep 12 21:43:57 BST 2022

> but i will add, that it is equally uncertain if _any_ SBC
> manufactured today, will still be functional in 10 years

On the contrary: for obvious ecological reasons, it is absurd nowadays
to buy a computer and plan to replace it before it's 10 years old.

> more significantly though, i think it is safe to say, that if people
> are hesitant to use a 32bit server today, it is not because the
> machine is unsuitable for their actual needs - that is simply because
> the technology is already 10+ years old, and something newer exists

Yes, but that directly leads to the mountain of e-junk and the insane
associated carbon footprint and ecological impact.

> so although this is a perfectly reasonable argument to make, it
> just is not convincing to many people - people will prefer
> an "updated/upgraded" _whatever_, even if they do not need it

When buying something new, I can agree with them: all else being equal,
it makes sense to buy something that uses fairly recent standards, so as
to maximize the expected lifetime, yes.

        Stefan "expecting to still be running Debian `armhf` on his
                2014-vintage BananaPi well into the 2030s"