[Freedombox-discuss] GNU DIP Server

spectral spectral at sonic.net
Fri Jun 14 17:34:36 BST 2024

The difference between "username/hostname" and "username.hostname" may
be a source of confusion.  The Self Registration page provides an input
box labeled "Username/Hostname" along with dropdown labeled "Domain"
that contains the choices "fbx.one" and "freedombox.rocks".

It looks like "Username/Hostname" is meant to convey that the value for
this field constitutes both the hostname for resolving DNS queries as
well as the username for logging in to ddns.freedombox.org.  In other
words, the hostname and the username are the same value, not separate
components that together, separated by a dot, make up a value.

For example, attempting to register a "Username/Hostname" of the form
"a.b" in the "freedombox.rocks" domain gets me an "Invalid User Name"
error message saying "You entered a user name which is not a valid
domain name component. Please go back and check this entry."  This is
what I assume you're encountering.

However, I'm able to successfully register a "Username/Hostname" of the
form "a" in the "freedombox.rocks" domain (i.e., a.freedombox.rocks).

It looks to me like the server is functioning correctly, meaning as
intended.  I don't have good enough DNS chops to know if it could be
enhanced to handle more domain levels.