[Fsf-Debian] No response?

Stefano Zacchiroli leader at debian.org
Fri Aug 3 20:38:44 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 02:12:02PM -0600, Paul Wise wrote:
> Fundamentally, the issue seems to be about the clarity of the
> distinction between Debian (the 'main' section) and non-free/contrib.
> Do we have any opinion from RMS or other FSF folks about what amount
> of clarity is required before they would consider Debian a "free
> distro"? Until we have that there isn't much point discussing
> potential levels of separation.

Agreed.  This specific topic is something me and John have already
discussed over the past several months. We do now have an authoritative
answers from FSF on at least some of the related (sub-)topics.

It has not been posted here yet just due to unfortunate timing on both
mine and John sides (miscellaneous busy-ness, non-overlapping vacations,
you know, usual "real life" issues :-)).  Another reason is that, as
I've mentioned before, we wanted to send here a more comprehensive
summary of our past discussions. And that takes time to prepare.

I now expect that summary to be sent here RSN; gunpointed for an ETA I'd
say in 7-10 days.  I apologize for the delay.  Maybe we should have
rather waited for that part to be ready before kickstarting this list,
but all in all the time in between has allowed people here to get to
know each other *g*.

In the meantime, I respectfully direct again the attention of this list
participants to my suggestion in:

  http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/fsf-collab-discuss/2012-July/000039.html

there is useful work to be done there, to better track the reason of
non-free -ness of specific packages.  I'd be lovely if no answer to
inquiries on this list would be done to people working eagerly on that!

Cheers.