[Fsf-Debian] No response?

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Fri Aug 3 21:43:21 UTC 2012

Op 03-08-12 22:12, Paul Wise schreef:

> I don't believe that putting the non-free software on a different set
> of infrastructure still maintained by Debian is meaningfully different
> to what we have now. Debian would still be providing non-free/contrib
> to our users and I imagine the FSF would still say "Debian still has a
> repository of non-free software". The only difference would be the URL
> where the non-free bits are located, which (IMO) is not meaningfully
> different to what we have now.

Hmm, I think there is a meaningful difference. And it's not only the URL
what's different, but also the official owner of the URL.
At the moment you can download closed source binaries from Debian.

> Fundamentally, the issue seems to be about the clarity of the
> distinction between Debian (the 'main' section) and non-free/contrib.
> Do we have any opinion from RMS or other FSF folks about what amount
> of clarity is required before they would consider Debian a "free
> distro"? Until we have that there isn't much point discussing
> potential levels of separation. For example if Fedora dropped all
> their non-free firmware and moved them to RPM Fusion (the repo of
> non-free bits for Fedora users), would that be enough for them to be
> added to the list of "free distros"? The non-free firmware would still
> be out there and still used by developers and users alike.

"Fedora does have a clear policy about what can be included in the
distribution, and it seems to be followed carefully. The policy requires
that most software and all fonts be available under a free license, but
makes an exception for certain kinds of nonfree firmware. Unfortunately,
the decision to allow that firmware in the policy keeps Fedora from
meeting the free system distribution guidelines."
http://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html

In my opinion this says: when the nonfree firmware would go to something
like rpmfusion, Fedora would be a free system.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl