[Fsf-Debian] No response?

Ben Finney ben+debian at benfinney.id.au
Mon Aug 6 06:25:14 UTC 2012

Bryan Baldwin <bryan at katofiad.co.nz> writes:

> On 08/06/2012 04:13 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Clint Adams <clint at debian.org> writes:

> >> Do you understand how a sane and honest person might disagree
> >> with you given the preponderance of evidence?
> >
> > it's the only definition that matters for saying what is actually
> > part of Debian.
>
> This is where we disagree, Ben.

I take it, then, that you no longer disagree with me that the Debian
project clearly, publicly, and explicitly takes ownership of the
‘contrib’ and ‘non-free’ sections of the Debian project archives. Good,
that makes me more confident in discussions here.

> That definition is most certainly _not_ the only thing that matters.

Agreed, and I never said otherwise. I'm rebutting a very specific
confused claim, about the definition of Debian; and saying that the
Debian project is the only party whose definition matters *for that
issue*.

> Placed next to the facts, its really very trivial and dishonest. Its
> probably the least important thing to bring to the table.

If the people participating here can't even agree on what Debian is, it
seems discussions which depend on that definition are going to founder
as a result.

But I'm hopeful that the people participating here are able to come to
that agreement.

> But I'll say its a nonfree distribution. Because it is.

That's a different matter, and I haven't made a statement either way on
that. It's also something that is much more amenable to compromise here
than “what is Debian”. So that, too, gives me hope.

--
 \       “Everything you read in newspapers is absolutely true, except |
  `\        for that rare story of which you happen to have first-hand |