[Fsf-Debian] few arguments to FSF

Gunnar Wolf gwolf at gwolf.org
Fri Aug 10 15:03:10 UTC 2012

Paul van der Vlis dijo [Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 03:16:09PM +0200]:
> > Conversely, at what point does “the Debian project tells [the] user
> > about it” become “the Debian project promotes non-free software”?
> >
> > It seems to me that the distinction is vital to the convergence we're
> > trying to find in this forum.
>
> What we can say is: "We do not recommended it, but it is also an option
> to install non-free firmware."
>
> Maybe we could do that on many places. e.g. on the wiki. Everywhere
> where nonfree is an option, we say "we do not recommended it, but ...".

Ok. As for the only graphics card in a hypothetical single-board
computer that, besides that card, can be used with free software: "you
have the option not to have video at all. We recommend you not to have
video - Hey, who needs it after all? But anyway, if you want to use
this piece of hardware, you can search for the relevant non-free
firmware and it will work"