[Fsf-Debian] few arguments to FSF

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Fri Aug 10 15:52:49 UTC 2012

Op 10-08-12 17:03, Gunnar Wolf schreef:
> Ok. As for the only graphics card in a hypothetical single-board
> computer that, besides that card, can be used with free software: "you
> have the option not to have video at all. We recommend you not to have
> video - Hey, who needs it after all? But anyway, if you want to use
> this piece of hardware, you can search for the relevant non-free
> firmware and it will work"

Bad example! You could use a serial interface, SSH, or even an
usb-attached videocard [1].

When a videocard needs firmware to operate, this is normally loaded
before the OS starts, after that you normally have text-mode and VESA
for the OS.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

[1]
http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/displaylink-release-three-new-usb-graphics-processors-and-linux-source-20090521/

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl