[Fsf-Debian] few arguments to FSF

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Fri Aug 10 18:13:00 UTC 2012

Op 10-08-12 19:17, Gunnar Wolf schreef:

> Most of our users can't. Or won't. They will look elsewhere - Freedom
> will look more as a burden than as an advantage.

I would like to see it as a mantra: "We don't advice it, it's nonfree".
It could be the motto of nonfree.org.

But you are right, we must look out that people don't take that too
serious, and look elsewhere because they are confused.

But the alternative is to remove everything in the documentation about
nonfree stuff, or to move it to e.g. nonfree.org.
If we want to be free in the FSF-terms.

> We try to make them
> _want_ to switch to a Free OS, to prove it's not black magic, and that
> you don't have to be a hacker to enjoy the freedom such a system
> guarantees.

That's a difficult one. Yes, I also like to make it userfriendly.

>From that point of view, the firmware what has moved to nonfree is
really irritating. Realize that most new PC's are coming now with
network devices what need firmware, for a netinstaller, you really
need those firmware.

> Their experience would be better if they also got really free
> hardware, of course. I have suffered half-done closed controllers, and
> that has taught me the value of documented hardware and free
> firmware+controllers.

It would be really good to have hardware what would support Linux 100%,
and eventually some other OS-es.

Think about this: it's possible now to install MacOS on a normal PC. But
then you have the same installation-shit as with Linux. It's difficult,
bad documented, and in many cases the result is not 100%. But when you
buy hardware what made for MacOS, then everything works great. The same
I would like for Linux.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlils.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl