[Fsf-Debian] [Fsf-collab] Random thoughts...

Jason Self jason at bluehome.net
Sat Jul 7 18:17:11 UTC 2012

Paul Tagliamonte said:

> We can provide unofficial support for such things *outside* the project
> (as it currently is), but draw the line more clearly.

Can you please clarify that? When I go to debian.org I find information that
explicitly says Debian officially supports nonfree things [1]. I can also find
information and instructions -- again on debian.org -- about how to install and
use these nonfree things, which seems to confirm that support. Furthermore I can
even communicate with the official Debian staff about those things, and even
file bugs against them to have things fixed in it.

I read the words but I'm not clear how this goes to "provide unofficial support
for such things *outside* the project (as it currently is)."

I take unofficial support outside the project to be something similar to how
Fedora does it: There are non-free things available but those repositories are
on a different website, run and managed by third parties, and the official
Fedora website doesn't steer people to them to or try to communicate that these
are officially supported in any way.

I wonder: If Debian were to increase the level of separation in this way would
it be enough to satisfy everyone?

Maybe it could even be as simple as putting non-free and contrib (along with
supporting documentation about non-free things) on a different virtual host?

Considering that Debian is in freeze for Wheezy (I think) this might be
something to consider for Wheezy+1?

Keep in mind that a good compromise leaves no one happy.

[1] http://www.debian.org/social_contract