[Fsf-Debian] GNU Emacs docs (and GCC and others) are not DFSG free

Loic J. Duros lduros at gnu.org
Mon Jul 9 11:34:45 UTC 2012

The "General Resolution: Why the GNU Free Documentation License is not
suitable for Debian Main"[1] has the following point in the Amendment
Text A:

    At the same time, we also consider that works licensed under the GNU
    Free Documentation License that include no invariant sections do
    fully meet the requirements of the Debian Free Software Guidelines.

Do all the manuals released under the GFDL and present in nonfree have
an invariant clause? Personally, I don't want to enable nonfree just to
get a few info files on Debian, so instead I usually download them from
gnu.org. If no compromise is possible to bring them back to main,  maybe
it would be possible to move them from nonfree to elsewhere such as a
new location solely dedicated to documentation released under the GFDL?
This way it would allow people like me to get access to this
documentation without having to open the door to all the rest of nonfree
software.

[1] http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_001

Thanks,

Loic Duros