[Fsf-Debian] Silent here

Bryan Baldwin bryan at katofiad.co.nz
Sat Nov 24 20:13:08 UTC 2012

On 11/24/12 23:57, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Good! Then:
>
> Firmware is not software. I wouldn't be surprised to find differences when
> comparing licenses drawn for software to licenses drawn for firmaware.
> Software freedom guidelines have nothing to do with firmware freedom. Applying
> one to the other shows profound lack of thought and is going to waste a lot of
> time.
>
> My point being: if we can exclude documentation from the realm of what we
> consider as free, then we could do it with firmware as well…
Its good to consider things separately, but we are not in agreement that
documentation is being excluded from what is considered free simply
because it is treated differently than software. I can't respond to Mr.
Bliss' assertion, because it is nonsensical to me. I can't work out how
what he has said has any meaning. We do consider documentation free, but
see the problem of user's freedom with documentation differently from
software. Although the law treats copyright of expression with no regard
to a work's technical or social purpose, FSF's consideration of what is
required for freedom does. There is good detail in FSF's published
published essays of why user's freedoms with documentation is decided
differently from software, and are kindly linked in Mr. Self's reply.

I see no reason to treat firmware differently from software. I could be
wrong about that, and I'm interested to know reason why you think it should?