[Fsf-Debian] Deciding how Debian depends/recommends non-free packages

Michael Gilbert mgilbert at debian.org
Sat Oct 27 19:19:09 UTC 2012

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 04:32:53PM -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
>> Since we're trying to improve collaboration with the FSF, and since
>> this matter is likely of fundamental interest to the FSF, I was
>> wondering if one of the FSF representatives would like to weigh in on
>> that discussion?  Hopefully your external viewpoint will help the
>> committee make the best, well-rounded decision.
>
> I agree that's a worthwhile goal.
>
> But for that to happen, I think it'd be more efficient to gather
> information on this list, hopefully reaching consensus on a common
> position or, at worst, on a small sets of positions. Then someone can
> summarize them for the tech-ctte.
>
> It looks like a way more efficient workflow, at least for the Debian
> Technical Committee that tends to be very busy, than soliciting opinion
> from all this list participants directly in the bug log.

It is my understanding that the FSF very much prefers private
deliberation before making their positions final and publicly
available.  I was more hoping to spur that private talking, rather
than too much back and forth here, so that at some point a
representative from the FSF would be willing to make an official FSF
statement on the bug report; thus giving the the Tech Committee more
evidence for their important decision on the matter.

As it stands now, any outcome will only be a barometer of the members
of the Tech Committee, and a decision without considering the FSF's
views has the potential to put a damper on this collaboration that's
trying to be started if the outcome happens to be against their
opinion.

Best wishes,
Mike