[Fsf-Debian] Deciding how Debian depends/recommends non-free packages

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Mon Oct 29 11:37:29 UTC 2012

Michael Gilbert writes ("Re: [Fsf-Debian] Deciding how Debian depends/recommends non-free packages"):
> It is my understanding that the FSF very much prefers private
> deliberation before making their positions final and publicly
> available.  I was more hoping to spur that private talking, rather
> than too much back and forth here, so that at some point a
> representative from the FSF would be willing to make an official FSF
> statement on the bug report; thus giving the the Tech Committee more
> evidence for their important decision on the matter.

Right.

Firstly I should say I'm a member of the Debian Technical Committee
(and perhaps the one whose views are currently most aligned with the
likely views of the FSF on this point).

It seems to me right and proper that the FSF should have an opinion
about this question, and influence, and I encourage the FSF to make
their views, hopefully with convincing supporting arguments, known to
the TC via the Debian BTS in the usual way.

That contribution must happen in public.  The Debian Constitution
requires TC discussions to be public (with some exceptions) and even
if it didn't I think on a question like this one with a very strong
philosophical (not to say political) aspect, the it would be quite
wrong of the TC to take note of views expressed only in private.

I would also encourage the FSF to make its views, with supporting
arguments, known very quickly.  The decision is likely to be made in
the coming weeks.

Ian.