[Fusioninventory-devel] Deployment in unattended-gui (and others)

Gonéri Le Bouder goneri at rulezlan.org
Sat Nov 27 19:47:06 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 08:25:38PM +0100, Mario Gzuk wrote:
> > To complet my suggestion, we need to had checksum in this FILES section.
> > I understand Uranos do that already but if we want to have something generic
> > enough we need to be able to retrieve file ourself.
> >
> > Regarding this, we already do peer to peer software download for the
> > OcsDeploy.pm module. It works great, people are already able to deploy large
> > archive on local network quickly. I plan do to the same here.
> >

> Mainly the deployment runs directly from a share. But it is also
> possible to use it via http[s]|ftp to retrieve the software files. I am
> currently dont know what you mean with "we need to be able to retrieve
> file ourself"...
>

> >> Following the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle:
> >> The agent should do only main tasks so that you never have to change it:
> >> 1.) get the script from somewhere (http[s] with or whithout auth) and
> >> store it local
> > Sometime the script need another file. That's why I think
> > we should be able to have more than one file.
> >> 2.) run the scritp with the <OPTS>
> >> 3.) catch the return code and the output from the script and
> >> 4.) send it back to the server
Actually, there is one case why this won't work. If the agent want to
send answer later. For example if the program to launch is a long process
that need a lot of time.

I suggest send the answer in a new XML message exchange:

<REQUEST>
  <ORDERID>aUniqueStringGivenByTheServer</ORDERID>
  # We have to specify it in the initial order

  <RUN_DURATION>1234</RUN_DURATION>
  # The time used to run the command (optional)

  <RET_CODE>0</RET_CODE>
  # (optional)

  <LOG>
   balbablabla
   blaglablaba
   balba
   bablabal
   </LOG>
  # Optional

  <DEVICEID>test-deviceid</DEVICEID>
  # The machine DeviceID (mandatory)

  <QUERY>RUNCOMMAND</QUERY>
  # The XML module in use (mandatory)
</REQUEST>

If you are agree with that, I will start to write the module.

Cheers,

     Gonéri