[Fusioninventory-devel] Change in setup directories handling

Guillaume Rousse Guillaume.Rousse at inria.fr
Wed Oct 20 19:39:33 UTC 2010

Here is the issue with setup directory handling in the agent:
http://forge.fusioninventory.org/issues/273

I just made some radical changes in my branch to fix this issue, and
enhance the situation:
- basevardir and share-dir options don't exist anymore
- config.pm doesn't have any hadrcoded list of directories to scan
- instead, the various executables (agent and win32-service)
automatically pass correct hardcoded values when instanciating the agent
- in the git tree, those values match local tree, so it just works,
without the need for --devlib option
- when installing, the 'make install' target automatically rewrite those
values to match installation location correctly
- those values can be altered by passing options to Makefile.PL:
perl Makefile.PL CONFDIR=/etc/fusioninventory
DATADIR=/usr/share/fusioninventory VARDIR=/var/lib/fusioninventory

This way, no more miserable failure message such as 'unable to find html
content, please install File::ShareDir or use --share-dir option', or
bogus behaviour such as scanning /etc/fusioninventory when software was
installed in /opt prefix. Additionaly, the code is also quite less
bloated with constructs such as 'if --devlib is used then do X, else do
Y', the bloat being transfered to Makefile.PL.

Comments welcome, especially for the windows impact. I have no clue if
'perl Makefile.PL && make && make install' is used in Windows installer
creation process.
--
BOFH excuse #100:

IRQ dropout