[Fusioninventory-devel] Testing latest release on HP-UX

Amir Pakdel a.pakdel at karafarinbank.net
Wed Jan 26 11:19:50 UTC 2011

Hi Gonéri,

On 01/26/2011 01:40 PM, Gonéri Le Bouder wrote:
> Hi Amir !
>
>>> The prebuilt package you have put in
>>> http://prebuilt.fusioninventory.org/stable/hpux_11.23-IA64/ works like a
>>> charm.
> Great! You can now send a message on Twitter with the #FusionInventory
> hashtag to spread the good new ;)
Done :)
>>> However, HP-UX was driving me mad!!! It does not support filenames longer
>>> than 100 characters in a tar archive!!!!
>>> It wasted a great deal of my time!!!! At last, I untarred the package on my
>>> linux desktop, renamed the directory from
>>> fusioninventory-agent_hpux_11.23-IA64_2.1.7-2 into fusinv-agent and created
>>> the tar file again, and it started to work on HP-UX without any problem :)
>>> Would you please do the same in the uploaded file in
>>> http://prebuilt.fusioninventory.org/stable/hpux_11.23-IA64/
>>>
>>> do you use gnu tar ? If yes, then I'll check with Gonéri how to change the
>>> file name, no problem.
> I would prefer a sanity check in the fusioninventory-agent script
> instead if possible.
> What was  the directory structure extracted by tar on HP-UX? Was the
> fusioninventory-agent script present somewhere?
The structure was the same, expect the missing files. tar on HP-UX was
omitting files whose name was long. As a point in case, the following
file was omitted by tar:
fusioninventory-agent_hpux_11.23-IA64_2.1.7-2/perl/lib/site_perl/5.12.1/FusionInventory/Agent/Task/NetDiscovery/Manufacturer/Samsung.pm

As you can see, its name is longer than 100 characters; therefore, there
was no "Samsung.pm" file in the directory structure extracted and
created by tar!

> So now, you can easily give a try to the last stable snapshot now :)
> http://prebuilt.fusioninventory.org/devel/2.1.x/hpux_11.23-IA64/
>
> Amir, for the record, I applied 2 small commits for HP-UX on the agent
> in the 2.1.x branch.
> https://github.com/fusinv/fusioninventory-agent/commit/fce6c94ad435a28f7ae444957298df1ef3ee8de4
> https://github.com/fusinv/fusioninventory-agent/commit/cadc3f5570066502d18129f028bd549e6310aaf3
>
> In order to avoid surprise, I also started a test-suite for HP-UX CPU
> detection here:
> https://github.com/fusinv/fusioninventory-agent/commit/3d0662a7e57b8debaee4bd97e8b73e51cb6ef46f
>
> The test script parses machinfo (/usr/contrib/bin/machinfo  ) output
> to get CPU info. If possible,
> can you send me this command output, I will add them.
Here the weekend starts in a few minutes :D
I will continue on Saturday morning.