[Fusioninventory-devel] FuisionInventory Agent GUI

Amir Pakdel pakdel at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 16:33:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Gonéri Le Bouder <goneri at rulezlan.org>wrote:

> 2011/5/31 Amir Pakdel <a.pakdel at karafarinbank.net>:
> > Dear developers,
> >
> > Please check the new version. Here is a summary of changes:
> >
> > "Remote Unix / Linux Host" radio button is disabled (but still there).
> IMHO
> > it would inform the user that this is not supported.
> > Embedded "fusioninventory-agent_windows-i386_2.1.8-2.exe",
> > "winexe-static-081123" and "PsExec.exe" into the agentWizard executable.
> > They can be easily replaced by any other executable: merely need to be
> > aliased as "inst-win.exe", "winexe" and "psexec.exe" in the
> > "FusionInventory.qrc" resource.
> >
> > This version does installation on a remote Windows Host from a Linux
> (when
> > executed on a Linux, it can install FusionInventory on a remote Windows
> > host) without requiring any files other than the "agentWizard" itself.
> Here, on my Linux, I get "Could not copy the embedded winexe file into a
> regular file".
> The process failed to start. Either the invoked program is missing, or you
> may have insufficient permissions to invoke the program.

I was on vacation. I will look into the source code again tomorrow and I
will
try to generate better error messages.

> I also think the "Local Host" option should be turned off since I run
> Linux.

It can be easily done but IMHO keeping the option of local agent execution
on Linux systems might be beneficial.

> Is it possible to declare a network range of machine? Is it possible
> to use nmap to find the Windows host on the network? It's maybe
> over complicated.

I would keep a TODO list :)

> > As a result, installation tab is removed completely.
> > Now I am going to implement installation on a remote Windows Host from a
> > windows.
> I think the "Files and Filders" tab can be removed too since we don't use
> it.

If installation path of the agent can not be specified during installation
via
command line, this "Files and Filders" tab can be removed. Moreover, if
the option of local agent execution on Linux systems is kept, this tab might
come in handy.

> Some of the messages need to be clarified. I suggest these changes:
>
> "Server" tab → "Installation target"
> "Local Host" → Install the agent on this system
> "Remote Windows Host" → Install the agent on a remote Windows Host
> using the RPC Service interface and the $Admin share (PsExec).
> "Cancel" and "Perform Inventory" button location should be switched and
> "Perform Inventory" should be in bold
>
> Changes on the "FusionInventory Server" should only used during the
> installation
> and not be stored locally.

Do you mean that the agent should be run with default settings, without
command line arguments?

> Any opinion?
>
> What you are doing here is just great and will quickly be a much
> better alternative to
> the NSIS installer interface.

I would be glad to do useful things :)

Best regards,