[Fusioninventory-devel] FuisionInventory Agent GUI

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Wed May 25 07:46:37 UTC 2011

Le 25/05/2011 05:45, Amir Pakdel a écrit :
> Dear developers,
>
> It seems that nobody has any objection to using libssh for remote
> Unix/Linux inventory/installation; hence, I am going to start coding.
I don't understand what you are trying to do here.

If it's just a wizard to help to create a configuration file, added
value over a simple text editor and a good documentation is quite low,
unless eventually on windows world, where editing the registry is quite
painful. Goneri already started some work here I think.

If it's a wrapper over 'run an hard-coded command over ssh so as to be
able to install the agent on another host just by clicking a single
button', it's even worse. First, they are much better dedicated
management framework for such kind of issues, such as cfengine, puppet,
etc... Second, if you don't have this kind of tool ready to use, you can
still use ssh directly:
for i in host1 host2 host3; do
   scp payload $i:;
   ssh $i ./payload;
done

So, I don't have objection (that's your time after all), but I don't
think the added value is worth the development effort. Agent
configuration and deploiement could be made easier, indeed, but I don't
think fancy GUIs (especially in native code) will help very much here.

--
BOFH excuse #446:

Mailer-daemon is busy burning your message in hell.