[Fusioninventory-devel] FuisionInventory Agent GUI

Amir Pakdel a.pakdel at karafarinbank.net
Wed May 25 09:09:32 UTC 2011

Le 05/25/2011 12:16 PM, Guillaume Rousse a écrit :
> Le 25/05/2011 05:45, Amir Pakdel a écrit :
>> Dear developers,
>>
>> It seems that nobody has any objection to using libssh for remote
>> Unix/Linux inventory/installation; hence, I am going to start coding.
> I don't understand what you are trying to do here.
>
> If it's just a wizard to help to create a configuration file, added
> value over a simple text editor and a good documentation is quite low,
> unless eventually on windows world, where editing the registry is quite
> painful. Goneri already started some work here I think.
I was trying to expand the GUI that Goneri developed to do the same
thing on Windows and UNIX. I thought having the same functionality on
UNIX as well as Windows in the same GUI would be nice.

> If it's a wrapper over 'run an hard-coded command over ssh so as to be
> able to install the agent on another host just by clicking a single
> button', it's even worse. First, they are much better dedicated
> management framework for such kind of issues, such as cfengine, puppet,
> etc... Second, if you don't have this kind of tool ready to use, you can
> still use ssh directly:
> for i in host1 host2 host3; do
>     scp payload $i:;
>     ssh $i ./payload;
> done
>
> So, I don't have objection (that's your time after all), but I don't
> think the added value is worth the development effort. Agent
> configuration and deploiement could be made easier, indeed, but I don't
> think fancy GUIs (especially in native code) will help very much here.

Of course if you think that the added value is not worth the development
effort, I would rather spend my time on a more useful thing :)
Anyway, this GUI is not targeted to users like you and me: I use
something like the scp/ssh command you have mentioned.

Cheers,
Amir Pakdel