[Fusioninventory-devel] Software name and arch

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 20:16:02 UTC 2012

Le 14/04/2012 17:59, Remi Collet a écrit :
> In previous version of the agent, (and in OCS agent)
>
> Software name was  "name.arch"
Only for rpm, actually, which was main motivation to change this behaviour.

> Starting with version 2.2.0, it's only "name"
>
> I consider this as a regression will make information really difficult
> to manage in GLPI in heterogeneous envionment (mixed version / mixed
> agent / multi-lib computer)
That's a very subjective view. In mixed environment with rpm and non-rpm
platforms, each software was reported under 3 different identities:
- foo for non-rpm platforms
- foo.i586 for 32bits rpm platforms
- foo.x86_64 for 64bits rpm platforms
And we had to ressort to server-based rules to achieve content
normalisation. In this regard, I'd rather consider myself the new
situation an improvement.

> Currently, with older agent (or ocs agent), I see in my software list
> 	freetype.i686		2.4.6-4.fc16
> 	freetype.x86_64		2.4.6-4.fc16
> With agent 2.2.0
> 	freetype		2.4.6-4.fc16
>
> OK : using arch in the name is a poor workaround
>

> A better solution will be
> - add arch information in the XML
> - add arch information in GLPI DB scheme
That's quite easy to do, and probably the way to go for 2.3.0.

> Another 2 steps solution could be
> - add arch information in the XML
> - generate "name.arch" in the server side (glpi plugin)
>

> But until this, please consider reverting to the previous behavior.
I'd rather avoid reverting to partial and badly-designed behaviour just
because it's considered useful for some part of the audience (and
harmful for others). Especially as it is probably as much easy to
achieve a correct solution within the same time frame.

BTW, there is an (almost) generic workaround to replace any part of the
inventory not matching your specific needs:
- disable the non-conforming inventory category (--no-category software
in your case)
- add a custom XML fragment to the inventory result using
--additional-content option
There is an example in t/apps/agent.t test script.

--
BOFH excuse #38:

secretary plugged hairdryer into UPS