[Fusioninventory-devel] Building the FusionInventory Agent Windows package...

Tomás Abad tabadgp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 18:20:44 UTC 2012

   Hello Gonéri,

On 31/07/12 11:05, Gonéri Le Bouder wrote:
>>    In this point, a doubt arises me working with x64 platforms. In these
>> platforms, may be possible to have installed both agents at the same
>> time but, has it any sense?.
>>
>>       a) Should the new installer uninstall any previous FusionInventory
>>          Agent existent in the system before to do the installation?
> I don't think it's the goal of an installer. This should be achieved
> by another tool.
>
>>       b) Should the new installer uninstall any previous FusionInventory
>>          Agent of the same architecture existent in the system before to
>>          do the installation?
> Yes IMO, but this should be done by another tool like for the question above.

   Since four days ago, the new installer detect and remove a previous
agent, launching its uninstall program, before do the installation. This
approach is used for many others applications and, in my opinion, it is
the best practice for the FusionInventory Agent.

   After thinking about it a while, I have come to the conclusion that
has no sense that there are two agents on the same machine. Whether the
new installer is launched with /from-scratch option, the previous agent
is uninstalled before to install the new agent. Whether the new
installer is launched with /from-current-config, the current
configuration is saved, the current agent is uninstalled, the new agent
is installed and the saved configuration is restored, removing
deprecated options and migrating old options to new options. In both
cases, the command line options take preferences in the agent configuration.

   I think you will like it when you see it.

   Best regards,

--
   Tomás Abad