[Fusioninventory-devel] Window Perl install size

Tomás Abad tabadgp at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 12:38:15 UTC 2012

Hello Gonéri,

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Gonéri Le Bouder <goneri at rulezlan.org>
wrote:

> Will testing Tomás Abad new Windows installer [...]

Before answering you I would like to thank you for the time you will
spend testing the new FusionInventory Agent Windows Installer.

Note: For those who want also spend his or her time, here there are
some URLs (1), (2), (3) y (4). And, of course, any comment is welcome.
But remember, there are a lot of things to do yet. This is one of
them.

> [...] I wondered if it was not possible to use PAR::Packer to reduce the
> size and the number of installed files.
>
> What I did:
>
>     $ cpanm PAR::Packer
>     $ vi bootstrap.pl
>     $ pp -o bootstrap.exe bootstrap.pl
>     $ bootstrap.exe fusioninventory-agent --stdout
>
> This generate a =~ 6MB bootstrap.exe that bundle Perl and the
> FusionInventory dependency.
>
> [...]
>
> Tomás, what is your opinion regarding this solution?
>
> An interesting point is that we will be able to run an inventory just by
> downloading the bootstrap.exe and agent source archive.

   I suppose your talking about 'how to reduce the size and the number
of installed (Strawberry Perl Portable Edition) files', as you write
above, and not about to change the installer from NSIS to the Perl
Archiving Toolkit (PAR) (5). I need your confirmation about that.

   I will wait your answer reading about PAR. It would be a good
solution for a Windows portable distribution (without installation,
without touch the Windows registry and without create a Windows
Service or Windows Task) for FusionInventory-Agent.

   Regarding the problem related with what files of Strawberry Perl
Portable Edition to include into the installer, I had thought to
filter them into the NSIS script, like you do in the current installer
(6).

   Concretely, there are code into
'./NSIS/FusionInventory-Agent/Include/MiscFunc.nsh' file (some
commented lines inside of 'InstallStrawberryPerl' function, lines
411-473) that were an intent of that. I decided to install Strawberry
Perl completely until I was sure all was correct. What files should be
and should not be is another matter. Perhaps this

   $ cpanm --auto-cleanup 1 --quiet --scandeps --local-lib-contained \
     /F/FU/FUSINV/FusionInventory-Agent-2.2.6.tar.gz                 \
     /F/FU/FUSINV/FusionInventory-Agent-Task-Deploy-2.0.3.tar.gz     \
     /F/FU/FUSINV/FusionInventory-Agent-Task-ESX-2.2.0.tar.gz        \
     /G/GO/GONERI/FusionInventory-Agent-Task-Network-1.0.1.tar.gz

could help a little.

   Best regards.

Notes:

   1) Project in FusionInventory
http://forge.fusioninventory.org/projects/fusioninventory-agent-windows-installer

   2) Project in GitHub
   https://github.com/tabad/fusioninventory-agent-windows-installer

   3) Strawerry Perl Portable Edition Packages for FusionInventory-Agent
https://github.com/tabad/fusioninventory-agent-windows-installer/downloads

   4) The firsts installers (do not use in a production environment)
http://forge.fusioninventory.org/projects/fusioninventory-agent-windows-installer/files

   5) Perl Archiving Toolkit
http://par.perl.org/

   6) The current NSIS installer for FusionInventory-Agent
http://prebuilt.fusioninventory.org/stable/windows-i386/fusioninventory-agent_windows-i386_2.2.6-1-nsis-files.tar.gz