[Fusioninventory-devel] Window Perl install size

Gonéri Le Bouder goneri at rulezlan.org
Thu Nov 8 13:02:36 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 01:38:15PM +0100, Tomás Abad wrote:
> Hello Gonéri,

> I suppose your talking about 'how to reduce the size and the number of
> installed (Strawberry Perl Portable Edition) files', as you write above,
> and not about to change the installer from NSIS to the Perl Archiving
> Toolkit (PAR) (5). I need your confirmation about that.

PAR::Packer's pp can embedded a collection of perl lib in a .par files,
most like a .jar on the JAVA world.

pp is also able to transofrm a .par to executable file. In this case, it
will push perl binary within.

https://metacpan.org/module/pp

> I will wait your answer reading about PAR. It would be a good solution for
> a Windows portable distribution (without installation, without touch the
> Windows registry and without create a Windows Service or Windows Task) for
> FusionInventory-Agent.
>
> Regarding the problem related with what files of Strawberry Perl Portable
> Edition to include into the installer, I had thought to filter them into
> the NSIS script, like you do in the current installer (6).
I was look for a was to reduce the size of the embedded Perl distribution.
This bootstrap.exe final file is a binary replace the full perl libs and
perl.exe files. You will just need the agent sources, dmidecode.exe, and
this bootstrap.exe file. So we will reduce the size to something like 20MB.

This bootstrap.exe can be used either:
 - in a “portable” distribution
 - or installed by the agent.

It's probably possible to include FusionInventory distribution within a
fusioninventory-agent.exe but I'm not sure it's a good idea because it will
be much more harder to debug problem.

> Concretely, there are code into
> './NSIS/FusionInventory-Agent/Include/MiscFunc.nsh' file (some commented
> lines inside of 'InstallStrawberryPerl' function, lines 411-473) that were
> an intent of that. I decided to install Strawberry Perl completely until I
> was sure all was correct. What files should be and should not be is
> another matter. Perhaps this

Well, bootstrap.exe avoid this step, since PAR::Packer's pp already compute
a light distribution of Perl for our needs.

Best regards,
--
       Gonéri