[Fusioninventory-user] feedback wanted: monitor serial numbers

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 12:45:58 UTC 2012

Hello happy fusioninventory users.

While dealing with a bug about a specific kind of monitor, I discovered
an issue the way our code (happily borrowed from mandriva parse-edid set
of tools) interpret the value dedicated to monitor serial number in EDID
information.

Basically, the specification just says than the four bytes 12 to 15 are
dedicated to this information, but doesn't says anything about their
interpretation. The code currently consider then as a single decimal
number, whereas the number printed on monitor label consider them as a
list of hexadecimal digits.

For instance, for a given raw bytes input "90 32 90 71", the value could
be interpreted either as:
- 1905275536 (single decimal value)
- 71903290 (the same hex values in reverse order)

Before taking a decision about this issue, I'd like a bit more feedback
about the real world situation. If you have some monitor with printed
serial number, can you check if they are plain decimal number, or rather
something like a fixed-length list of 8 hexadecimal digits ? Even
better, could you compare their value with raw EDID information (1) ?

Thanks.

[1] useful way to extract EDID information:
- xrandr --prop under unix,
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\*\EDID value
under windows
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDID page for other suggestions
--
BOFH excuse #9: