[Fusioninventory-user] A proposal for the opposite term to 'Server Mode'.

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 15:22:52 UTC 2012

Le 28/06/2012 18:38, Tomás Abad a écrit :
>     With all of that in mind, here I leave another suggestion -or idea-:
>
>                          Server Mode / OnceExec Mode
>                          Server Mode / OneTime Mode
>                          Server Mode / Once Mode
'oneshot' and 'fireandforget' have also been used in the past. All of
these proposals put an emphasis about the process duration.
Alternatively, the emphasis could also be made on 'local' vs 'remote'
control, or on 'delayed' vs 'instant' execution.

In all cases, I'd prefer an explicit opposition, such as 'unbounded /
bounded', 'resilient / transient', 'continuous / once', instead of using
the word 'server'. Especially as it can be easily confused with a
'server' target...

I just commited a development branch (2.3.x-multiple-binaries)
implementing my previous suggestion of using different binaries for each
of these so-called execution mode. With these changes, the agent usage
becomes:

./fusionventory-agent   => running the agent
./fusionventory-daemon  => running the agent daemon (unix only)
./fusionventory-service => running the agent service (windows only)

Additionaly, it also makes the code cleaner and easier to read, by
removing unix-only alternatives from shared code.
--
BOFH excuse #331:

those damn raccoons!