[Fusioninventory-user] A proposal for the opposite term to 'Server Mode'.

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 18:45:20 UTC 2012

Le 20/06/2012 20:01, Tomás Abad a écrit :
>     Another proposal could be:
>
>        * Server Mode / Continuous Mode / AlwaysOn Mode / Resident Mode
>
>           # fusioninventory-agent --daemon or
>           # fusioninventory-agent --daemon --no-fork
>
>          As you say, in this mode the agent is always running in memory
>          and the task execution is driven by the OCS Inventory Protocol,
>          so the result of task execution will be only sent to remote
>          targets.
That's not exactly true. If you have a local and a server target,
server-scheduled execution will trigger both of them, and the result of
executions of local targets will be kept locally.

As I guess that's mostly useless, maybe we could make them incompatible
? I mean, only having one unique local target (BTW, stdout target should
be merged for  sake of simplicity) OR a list of server targets. It would
reduce the number of absurd combinations.

>        * ByDemand Mode / AsNeeded Mode /
>          AsNecessary Mode / NonResident Mode
>
>           # fusioninventory-agent (without --daemon option) ...
>
>          In this mode the agent start and end up, and send the result of
>          task to all defined targets, local and remote (the agent will
>          be executed one time for defined target). To schedule the
>          execution is needed to use 'anacron' or 'cron' in *nix, 'task
>          schedule' in Microsoft Windows, etc.
>
>          In this mode the agent starts and ends up when the last task
>          end up its execution, and send the result of task to all
>          defined targets -locals and remotes- (the agent will be
>          executed one time for defined target). To schedule the
>          execution in this mode is needed to use 'anacron' or 'cron' in
>          *nix, 'task schedule' in Microsoft Windows, etc.
>
>          (Note: 'NonResident' has been proposed by Mario Jorge
>                 de Sousa Freire.)
>
>     Best regards.
What about 'direct execution' vs 'indirect' or 'remotely-driven execution' ?

--
BOFH excuse #42:

spaghetti cable cause packet failure