[Fusioninventory-user] agent control logic

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 19:31:05 UTC 2013

Le 10/09/2013 17:43, Marco Gaiarin a écrit :
> Mandi! Guillaume Rousse
>    In chel di` si favelave...
>
>>> Then, i was used to run, by hand, when i need to upgrade the GLPI data, the
>>> .bat script on program folder, eg:
>>>
>>> 	C:\Program Files (x86)\FusionInventory-Agent\fusioninventory-agent.bat
>>>
>>> with the new version, what script i have to run?
>> The same as previously, nothing has been changed sofar. We'll
>> probably use a new major version number for this kind of change.
>
> Ok, i'm back poking with 2.3.0.
>
> Now on the FI folder there's 3 batch files:
>    fusioninventory-agent.bat (taht run 'perl fusioninventory-agent')
>    fusioninventory-injector.bat (taht run 'perl fusioninventory-injector')
>    fusioninventory-inventory.bat (taht run 'perl fusioninventory-inventory')
>
> To do a simple inventory, by hand, i have still to run the first,
> 'fusioninventory-agent' as before?
If you want to transmit the result to the server immediatly, that's the
only solution currently.

> The 'fusioninventory-inventory' confuse me a little... ;-)))
The point of each 'fusioninventory-something' is to run the 'something'
task directly, and send the result where you want. With current release
(2.3.1), those executables are only able to print those results on
stdout, but for next release, they'll be more versatile. It means you
have full local control over what to run, when and how.

When you run 'fusioninventory-agent', on the other hand, it contacts
each server in its configuration, and ask each of them what should be
done. Unless you use --force, if the server doesn't ask for an
inventory, the agent won't run an inventory. It means that agent
execution control is both local-controled (you decide when to run the
agent, and for some tasks, how), and server-controled (the server decide
what is run, and for all tasks but local inventory, how). This is ugly
and counter-intuitive.

The goal for the 3.0 release is to enforce a better separation between
local and server-control, by reducing the 'fusioninventory-agent' to
something that is fully server-controlled. But so far, we've not reached
this point...
--
Guillaume