[libhid-discuss] help needed to read data

Xiaofan Chen xiaofanc at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 08:54:17 UTC 2007

On 8/26/07, Charles Lepple <clepple at ghz.cc> wrote:
> A "stub driver" isn't a driver in the traditional computer sense of
> the word - it's just a placeholder that tells the kernel not to let
> the generic HID kext bind to your device. If memory serves, it's just
> a bundle (directory) with a .plist that specifies the vendor and
> product IDs of the device.
>
> I think there was a device called the "9button" or something - check
> the Apple USB archives via Google, and you should see some more info
> on this.

No idea of Apple USB but I came across this:
http://www.apcupsd.org/manual/USB_Configuration.html

Apparently they are using the same approach to prevent Mac OS
X from binding the kernel HID driver to the UPS (an HID device).

The better way is of course that libhid could use the native
API on different system like Windows and Mac OS X.
It might be quite a bit of work though.

Stephan has started the work to support Windows HID
backend (as well as WinUSB) for libusb-win32 but it is not
working yet.

Regards,
Xiaofan