[libhid-discuss] device with multiple interfaces

Arvid Picciani aep at exys.org
Tue May 15 21:42:33 UTC 2007

> lsusb confirms.
indeed :(

> This is problematic. In order to communicate with the USB device
> directly in your application you must first disconnect the kernel
> HID driver. This is a really bad approach to programming the device.
> (Sometimes neccessary because of really bad device design.)
does this mean i _could_ see the other interfaces when disconnecting from the
kernel?

i couldnt unload the driver so i couldnt test:

$aep at brush ~/cpp/psuc/ls $ sudo rmmod usbhid
ERROR: Module usbhid is in use by hidp
$aep at brush ~/cpp/psuc/ls $ sudo rmmod hidp
ERROR: Module hidp is in use
$aep at brush ~/cpp/psuc/ls $ sudo rmmod -f hidp
ERROR: Removing 'hidp': Resource temporarily unavailable

> Maybe you can get away with using the kernel input layer API to
> program the device?
from the userspace? no idea how, but i will look into it. thanks alot.
> What does the manufacturer say about support for the device?
well, i am suposed to write a linux driver for it in exchange for the
hardware, so i have direct contact to the hardware developer. but he still
insists saying the device has 4 interfaces. .... and it works on windows.
it looks like he didnt read the usb specs corectly to me, but i am a newbie to
USB. so if you got some hints maybe what i could tell him, i would be glad.

btw, your name sounds german, are you?

i wrote the manufacor telling him his device must be bad designed and someone
else confimed (it's going to be hard to convince him since it works on
windows). we will see what he answers tomorow.

thank's a lot,
best regards,
Arvid

--