[libhid-discuss] how do I read events from a Hama MCE remote (keyboard+mouse)

Péter Szabó ptspts+libhid at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 08:06:55 UTC 2009

Thanks for the helpful and insightful answer.

> Another option could be to detach the kernel drivers from
> the devices in your application.

This does work. With a little modification of Bob Pwwer's detach
program (original: http://www.linuxha.com/common/iplcd/detach.tgz ;
modified: http://code.google.com/p/pts-mini-gpl/source/browse/#svn/trunk/pts-usb-detach
) I could detach the usbhid driver from the device. Unfortunately,
/dev/input/event7 and event8 also disappeared. Do I understand
correctly that I can use libhid or libusb (which one? I think libusb
would be more appropriate) at this point to talk to the remote? Is
there some library which makes parsing easy?

> Ideally you will find a way to not just use the kernel drivers.
> /dev/input/event data is very easy to consume, you only really have
> to block the keyboard and mouse within the HID layer. Maybe you can
> get that done easily in the kernel.

Yeah, reading /dev/input/event* should be the easiest for me. Any idea
how to block the kernel from using the remote in the keyboard and
mouse subsystem? Any idea who knows how to to do this.

Thanks again,

Péter