Repeated range searches & Including in a project

Rob McDonald ramcdona at calpoly.edu
Tue Apr 3 15:00:27 UTC 2012

I am considering using libkdtree++ for an open source project.  Thank
you very much for your work and for making this available.  Although the
mailing list hasn't had traffic since 2010, I'm hoping that someone out
there is listening.

1) I need to do many repeated range searches through a static cloud of
points.  Each search will be at a location very close to the previous
search.

Is there a way to return the location in the tree from a completed
search?  Then, can that location be passed to the next search as a
starting point?  Will this significantly accelerate the search?

2) What is the preferred way (from the libkdtree developers point of
view) of including libkdtree++ in a project?  My project is
cross-platform, and uses CMake to generate build files.

We include some smaller libraries in the project tree directly.  We
require the developer to go out and obtain other larger libraries as
required.  This can become a hassle.

I would rather not include everything in our project - the
tests/examples, the CMake build files, the Python bindings, etc.

I believe we could just include the contents of the kdtree++ directory
in our project.  What other files would be required by the license?
What other files would you like to have included?

3) What is the general status of this library?  Do the developers have
any further development plans?  Has this reached maturity?  Our
project's needs are modest, so I think we will be fine with libkdtree++
as-is.  At the same time, we haven't committed yet and could switch to
another kdtree if that is recommended.

We will need a range search, but a radius search would be better (if not
too expensive).  I saw in the archives some discussion/debate about how
best to move forward to support a radius search.  Is there any plan for
that?

Thanks for any information,

Rob