[ minicom-Bugs-303408 ] Request: capture file should be updated regularly

noreply at alioth.debian.org noreply at alioth.debian.org
Tue May 2 13:28:06 UTC 2006

Bugs item #303408, was opened at 2006-05-02 13:28
You can respond by visiting:
http://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100031&aid=303408&group_id=30018

Category: None
Group: wishlist

Initial Comment:
outstanding writes to the capture file should be done regularly.

Currently the captured data seems to be writen in 4k blocks.
Fine for high data rates but really not nice if the other
end is slow.

Flushing regularly would f.e. allow a "tail -f minicom.cap" to display
something useful if "the other end" is fed by a human.
(And it would keep data loss low on an unexpected shutdown.)

The concrete application I'd use it for is a moderately dated
oscilloscope which sends HPGL data at 9600 baud to what it thinks
is a plotter.
Right now I have to remember to manually close the capture file
(or otherwise the characters still in the buffer are lost -
the plot might still look valid on first sight though).

Thanks,
Frieder