minicom: control keys don't work??

Dan Miller (Kromos) dan at kromos.com
Fri Feb 15 19:52:25 UTC 2008

I'm trying to use minicom on a SuSE 9.3 system (kernel 2.6.11), to test dialup modems before hooking up mgetty.
We've done this in the past with earlier kernel versions (2.2.19) and never had any problems.
With *this* system, though, I don't know how to get minicom to recognize control keys - which is a *big*
problem once I'm inside the program!!  I have to open a separate window and killall the process to get it to close!!

I downloaded the current sources, configure'd and rebuilt the package, and still have this problem.
We have the "ignored control keys" issue both in physical console and within an ssh session.
What do I need to do, to resolve this??

My first guess was playing with language settings (LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LANG, LANGUAGE),
setting them to one of { C, en_US, en_US.UTF8 }, but these do not seem to have made any difference.

Dan Miller