Use case: VPN client

Marcus Better marcus at better.se
Thu May 10 10:58:41 UTC 2007

martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Marcus Better <marcus at better.se> [2007.05.10.1231 +0200]:
> > In the dependency case, when the user requests the VPN connection, it
> > would check if the VPN server is reachable. It would find that there is a
> > route through ppp0 and use that.
>
> what if there isn't a route yet and the users asks the VPN tunnel to
> come up?

User-configured policy decides? I doubt there could be a sensible default
method. You may need to connect to WiFi, dial somewhere, or whatever...

> > With upstart this is trivial: just add a job that gets run on the
> > "started openswan" event that is emitted automatically by upstart.
>
> Sure this is nice, but why would netconf have to depend on it?

It doesn't have to, but it may make it easier to write the scripts and
implement complex scenarios. (Unless it is decided that those complex
scenarios should not be supported in netconf, and can be left to users to
hack in upstart if they like.)

> That's something for the upstart mailing list, which I would
> certainly welcome. Still, I am unsure about the dependency. It
> should be an optional add-on, well-integrated if installed.
> Debian-style.

Sure, as long as the end result is achieved...

Marcus