netconf and python

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Thu Sep 20 21:02:41 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 10:19:49AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Adeodato Simó <dato at net.com.org.es> [2007.09.19.2123 +0100]:
> > (JFTR, if netconf does not provide a public library, this is not a
> > concern at all. And even if it did, I don't think it'd be much of a
> > problem from a release management point of view, so let's waive that
> > part of your statement.)

> I think it was Steve Langasek threatening me with a painful death if
> I went and used C++.

Actually, I only threatened you with painful death if you used *boost*.

Because boost is insane and the Debian packages are maintained insanely, and
having netconf depend on boost would tie it into library transitions
involving other boost reverse-dependencies whose maintainers are asleep at
the wheel.

FWIW, the C++ ABI is supposed to be stable now anyway, the last few C++ ABI
revisions have been bugfixes only and I haven't heard of any new fixes
pending.  (This release cycle, we just get the C ABI change for the size of
long doubles instead.)  We certainly have C++ stuff in base (like, er...
apt), so that's really not a concern.

vorlon at debian.org                                   http://www.debian.org/