[Neurodebian-users] Removal of Ubuntu gutsy and dapper from the NeuroDebian repository

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Tue Nov 30 14:16:54 UTC 2010

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, Andrew Janke wrote:
> > to recreate any analysis environment they ever had. Same would be
> > possible for Ubuntu, if they ever start offering a snapshot service. But
> > at least NeuroDebian packages would be available indefinitely for them
> > too.
> On the note of reproducing results, if people really are serious about
> this then they should be doing analysis in a VM, it's really the only
> way of guaranteeing you are going to be able to run (or at least
> emulate it) in 10 years time.
not just making it in VM but also snapshotting it either on a regular
basis or at important points (analysis for the paper is done), right?

unfortunately this approach is not fully addressing the problem of
reproducibility of your results by the others, unless you are willing to
share an image of the entire VM (which I do not oppose either, but it
might be too large and contain information which you do not want (yet)
to share).

Record of all versions of the tools used, and the code used for the
analysis provides minimal set of information necessary to approach
reproducibility and usually is relatively small in size ;)