[Neurodebian-users] anyone from ...intra.cea.fr ?

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Thu Dec 8 03:24:58 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 10:11:37PM -0500, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> I just spotted that there are regular fetches through rsync -- so
> there is already someone having a mirror out there ;)

Ah, OK.

> > I doubt that we can get a public mirror. CEA is not very public-friendly.
> > Maybe we can get a private mirror, though, if we are taking too much load
> > from you.

> If I got it right, you didn't know about this rsync fetching activity...
> so even if the mirror would be private to CEA it would be useful to
> mention it among available mirrors (and note it as being
> CEA-private) so newcomers from CEA could immediately get to high
> local bandwidth ;-)

Well, now that I know that there is a mirror, I have an idea of who is
running it, and for what purpose. I don't trust the people running this
mirror at all, and would rather use neurodebian. One of the reason that
they are running it is supposedly to audit and cherry pick the changes.
Which of course they don't do it, and simply delay the changes. This
works well for the average user at Neurospin, but I don't want to be part
of this schemme.

> > Another option, that might be easier, is to get INRIA to provide
> > mirroring, and have the CEA download from that.

> could work too... ATM we are not really abusing the bandwidth but making
> distribution more efficient and thinking about future would not
> hurt ;)

Given all the rules in France about anonymous connections, this is going
to require significant political efforts from me, so I'll fight for it
only if it is needed.