[Neurodebian-users] Problem with MIPAV

Landman, Bennett A bennett.landman at Vanderbilt.Edu
Fri Dec 14 03:19:38 UTC 2012

Mipav 6.0.1 is not stable against our tools. Please release MIPAV 5.4.2 or the current nightly. In fact, it would be best if one could choose to have mipav-beta (updated weekly from the mipav version servers) or a stable release mipav-X.Y.Z.

Now that MIPAV is open source, I don’t think we need to follow all the registration guidelines (which were required under closed source). A READ.ME that says to register on the MIPAV site for support, etc. would be plenty.

Are you in need of the sources? Let me know if you need me to help facilitate source grabbing.

-Bennett

-----Original Message-----
From: Yaroslav Halchenko [mailto:debian at onerussian.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:01 PM
To: neurodebian-users at lists.alioth.debian.org
Cc: Landman, Bennett A
Subject: Re: [Neurodebian-users] Problem with MIPAV

NB Bennett, question to you at the end ;)

sorry about the delay, Lorenzo

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012, Lorenzo Bandieri wrote:
> I'm trying to install mipav on an Acer Extensa 5230E running Debian
> testing (i686).

> When I try to run mipav from the command line, nothing happens.

dunno... I installed mipav package on both i386 and amd64 wheezy installations, adding neurodebian sid repository (apparently we never made mipav avail in wheezy and didn't update it for awhile by now), started fine with some warnings about memory setup etc... but started
;-)

> With -v, I get several java errors which I'm not posting since I think
> it is more an upstream problem.

who knows who knows... showing the error could have given a hint

> My questions are:

> 1. Are there any plans to update mipav to this release anytime soon?

good news are:   MIPAV is finally open-sourced and proper Debian
  packaging is possible now (currently it is just a "downloader" of the
  binary MIPAV distribution)

not so good news:  there is no specific timeline yet for the work
  on such a proper package.  We definitely are interested to help and
  there is interest "upstream" but no date could be guaranteed/set.
  (myself I am not even using MIPAV... more of a Python guy)

>  Anyway, before reporting upstream, I would like to try to install the
> latest mipav release, which is 6.0.1 (2012-11-14).

since our installer package is pretty much just a 'downloader' for the binary distribution -- indeed you might better off just following stock upstream installation instructions for now

> 2. I was thinking of recompiling mipav to see if I can update the
> package to the latest release on my own (which, given the choice, I'd
> prefer not to do since it would be my first time recompiling a debian
> package, hence question 1), however I cannot retrieve the source.

> # apt-get source mipav
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Unable to find a source package for mipav

by default we have deb-src lines in
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/neurodebian.sources.list are simply commented out -- uncomment them, and run apt-get update

but once again -- it would be just a downloader package for binary distribution of MIPAV prepared by Bennett (CCed) and there is no newer version seems to be avail on http://www.nitrc.org/frs/?group_id=228

Bennett, before anything happens with proper packaging of MIPAV -- should we may be update mipav distribution on nitric + our  downloader package?

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences