[Neurodebian-users] [Neurodebian-upstream] Increasing Community Involvement in NEST Development

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Thu Sep 20 13:26:12 UTC 2012

Let's actually continue this thread on neurodebian-devel (after this
email) since it would be a more appropriate venue.

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:
> The problem though, is that it no longer works with the latest
> (unreleased) version and also has multiple other issues.

> For instance, multipython hosts are not supported, and same applies to
> multi-mpi hosts (support for OpenMPI is hardcoded).

Since it is (judging from your packaging) is managed by autotools, we
would just need to do few rounds of builds manually for different
versions of python and with/without MPI support.  If it was a pure
python module/extension with setup.py we had to do nothing manually for
multipython support since debhelper + dh_python helpers would have taken
care about that.

> Once the GPL version is released, this packaging can be updated (or
> re-done from scratch), but I don't know how do you do multi-python and
> multi-mpi properly on Debian, so I'd need some help with that.

no problem -- we can sort this out ;)

So -- let's wait for the GPL release

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences