[Neurodebian-users] Condor and condor_compile

Kaj Wiik kjwiik at utu.fi
Wed Feb 13 12:02:36 UTC 2013

On 12/02/13 22:22, Michael Hanke wrote:
> OK, I guess there is a good reason not having support for standard
> universe in NeuroDebian?
>
> Yes, it requires a huge amount of work to create the libc wrapper the
> is required for standard universe. The condor project only does that
> _after_ a new Debian stable release was made. Hnce it is impossible to
> get this work to become part of a Debian release.
OK, I see. I guess because of this fragility, there is no hope of
running standard universe in Ubuntu using research.cs.wisc.edu Debian
packages. I am more and more interested in trying DMTCP again :-)..

> I'd be curious what limitations you found (I bit the DMTCP developers
> would like to know about that too). We prefer DMTCP over standard
> universe as we need to snapshot Python and Matlab sessions -- which is
> hard or even impossible to do with the standard universe.
It's some time ago already but I think the main two problems were mix of
32/64 bit software and using an external file (not transferred using the
standard mechanism, e.g. very large data files).

The background of the first problem was that we had some 32 bit software
and our system is 64 bit. Normally compatibility libraries work without
a problem but DMTCP did not allow that. I think specifically it would
have worked if all binaries would have been 32 bit (including the shell
when running a shell script and DMTCP binary itself) but that would have
been bit too much of work. Perhaps these limitations have been lifted
already.

Cheers,
Kaj