[Neurodebian-users] Dependency trouble with matlab-psychtoolbox-3

Mario Kleiner mario.kleiner at tuebingen.mpg.de
Wed Aug 6 08:33:24 UTC 2014

On 08/06/2014 06:28 AM, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Aug 2014, ella wufong wrote:
>
>>     hi!
>>     i'm attempting to get an Ubuntu + MATLAB + Psychtoolbox installation up
>>     and running for the very first time, as per this thread on the
>>     Psychtoolbox forums:
>>     i have Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 bit installed, and MATLAB 2014a 64 bit.
>
>>     using the NeuroDebian repo i have also installed octave-psychtoolbox-3. so
>>     far so good.
>>     Mario then pointed me towards installing the matlab-psychtoolbox-3
>>     package, however this is where i am stuck:
>>     sudo apt-get install matlab-psychtoolbox-3
>>     Reading package lists... Done
>>     Building dependency tree
>>     Reading state information... Done
>>     Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
>>     requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
>>     distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
>>     or been moved out of Incoming.
>>     The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>
>>     The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>      matlab-psychtoolbox-3 : Depends: matlab-psychtoolbox-3-nonfree (=
>>     3.0.11.20140705-1~nd+1) but it is not going to be installed
>>     E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
>>     and if i then try:
>
>>     sudo apt-get install matlab-psychtoolbox-3-nonfree
>>     Reading package lists... Done
>>     Building dependency tree
>>     Reading state information... Done
>>     Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
>>     requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
>>     distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
>>     or been moved out of Incoming.
>>     The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>
>>     The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>      matlab-psychtoolbox-3-nonfree : Depends: libglew1.9 but it is not
>>     installable
>>                                      Recommends: libfreenect0.1 but it is not
>>     installable
>>     E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
>>     i'm guessing that this means that the matlab-psychtoolbox-3 package is
>>     currently out-of-date?
>>     any help with getting this to work would be much appreciated. amongst the
>>     researchers that i work with, i'm trying to lead the charge towards Linux
>>     and eventually Octave...
>
> well -- Octave one should work no-problem, with Matlab one (blame is
> mine since I haven't had time to implement install-time building of
> extensions and just distribute Mario's copies) we would need to figure
> it out...
>
> Mario -- you just staticly build-in GLEW, don't you?  so I could just
> drop dependency on libglew altogether for that matlab- package, or
> I have forgotten smth?

Yes, statically linked, so dropping the dependency for the Matlab mex
files from me should work.

Although i wonder why the same problem doesn't happen with your octave
mex files? Dependency on different glew version - probably whatever is
the system default one? My Ubuntu 14.04 has libglew1.10 as current one.
I have an old libglew1.9, but that seems to be a leftover from a 13.04
installation and the package manager says it comes from:
1.9.0-3~bnd1~nd13.04+1

So at some point it was part of NeuroDebian, apparently for 13.04.

> freenect -- would you mind rebuilding your extensions against freenect
> 0.2?  for some reason I have only uploaded 0.2 to Debian proper but not
> to NeuroDebian, and now users on bleeding edge Ubuntu releases with
> neuroDebian end up "bleeding".   Ella -- I will push a build of 0.1
> version of libfreenect for trusty tomorrow to NeuroDebian so we would
> have a quick resolution for that one at least...

Not sure about that. Old distros which we still support won't have
freenect 0.2, no? My old Matlab build system definitely doesn't have it.

I'd do such a switch for the next beta, when the 3.0.12 series starts,
so we can have one transition with changed dependencies/system
requirements. I'd like to avoid touching 3.0.11 as much as possible, i
really want to get rid of its maintenance, given that it is declared eol
since April.

But iirc one can simply set a soft-link from freenect 0.1 to 0.2, and
the mex files will work with it and gain some new functionality, e.g.,
XBOX for Window support.

-mario